Monday, December 9, 2013

Tensions Rise as Indiana Schools Chief and Governor Clash Over New Agency

Months in the making, has boiled over at monthly State Board of Education meetings, where Ms. Ritz and board members, who are appointed by the governor, continue to wrestle for control over the state's education policies. In recent weeks, Ms. Ritz, the state superintendent of public instruction, has sued the board, walked out of a meeting to prevent a vote and accused Mr. Pence of orchestrating a subversive "Power grab" against the Department of Education. "I feel he wants to have one agency for education, and that's going to be the agency," she said in a recent interview about the governor's new agency, the Center for Education and Career Innovation, known as C.E.C.I. She added, "It is interfering with how I'm operating and how I'm going about making decisions." Defending himself last month in an op-ed article that ran in newspapers across the state, Mr. Pence denied that the move had been political and said his new center "Breaks down the silos" between the state's education and work force responsibilities and "Does so without taking any authority away from the Department of Education."
Source: NEW YORK TIMES


Swirl >>

This Is What Americas School Lunches Really Look Like - NPR
School pupil dies of meningitis - BBC
Schools making gender bias worse - BBC
Schools guilty of gender stereotyping researchers claim - INDEPENDENT

No comments:

Post a Comment